Tuesday, November 17, 2009

why i love kids

there are two boys in my high school class who are.... let's just say they aren't necessarily the types to turn their homework in or stay on task or always have their shoelaces tied. but they are also very bright kids who are exceptionally sweet and come from houses where there is a lot of yelling and little attention paid to them. i have a soft spot for both of them and have really worked to reinforce the great things they do and keep them motivated and get them involved and pretty much remind them on a daily basis that they are good kids. i think one of them is taking my leaving rather hard because i am one of the teachers that he gets along with and is able to talk to. and it's leaving those kids that is the hard part of all of this.... those kids that so easily get pushed aside because they are "problem" kids... that problem being that they come from awful social and emotional situations that they don't know how to deal with.

so i check my email today and waiting for me is a message from one of these kids:

Dear Dr. L
I'm very sorry for the students at XXX and hope you can forgive us. Now I can really see why you are doing what you are doing. I am apologizing for the jerks and myself for being a problem in your class. I did not mean to be a problem sometimes it just happens and well i guess XXX feels the same way he may seem to be a pain but deep down he must be good. For all of the other kids in our school i can not say much others feel the same but I am trying to stop the mean things being said about you.

and that's why kids are awesome.

1 comment:

Tracie said...

That letter made me cry. Seriously. My cheeks are wet.