Thursday, October 29, 2009

tropomyosin... my my my

i'll use pretty much any analogy to make a concept i'm teaching stick. so today i was introducing my anatomy and physiology students to the mechanism underlying muscle contraction, namely, the binding of myosin to actin and subsequent movement of those funky little fibers past each other. SO.. in order for myosin to bind to actin, these little pesky proteins called tropomyosins need to be moved off the actin. and how did i describe the function of tropomyosins? i believe it went something like this... "tropomyosin prevents myosin from binding to actin when the muscle is at rest. it's kind of like the cock block of muscular contraction."

and did i mention two weeks ago when i was going through the answers of a test and said "number 1- d... as in dog. number 2-b... as in basket. number 3-c... as in cocksucker." it had been a rough day. unfortunately my students kept talking about how funny that was during my observation by my boss. but guess who's teaching not one, but two, classes there next semester? boo-yah.

No comments: