Friday, October 30, 2009

igloo? ice cream?

this is why i love halloween. not the weirdo dog picture. i'm standing in like at joann fabrics tonight with my to-be-cut ribbon when a 7-year-old and her grandma get in line behind me. the girl is in solid native american attire, braids, moccasins, beading... an exceptional costume. she's looking me and my ribbon up and down, trying to figure out what exactly i could be doing with it. i start unravveling the material to get it ready for cutting, when i realize that there is a long piece already cut. i look at her and the bantering starts...
me: "did you cut my ribbon?"
girl: "no."
me: "are you sure?"
girl: "yes."

i then wrap the ribbon around myself a few times to make sure it's long enough.
girl: "you probably need to cut that."
me: "actually, i need it to be long enough to wrap around me a few times so i think it's ok."
girl: "what's your costume?"
me: "i'm going to be rough endoplasmic reticulum."
girl: *silence*
me: "do you know what that is?"
girl: "no."
me: "it's in your cells. are you in costume?"
girl: "yes."
me: "oh.. you're a dinosaur, right?"
girl: "no."
me: "a unicorn?"
girl: "no."
me: "a robot?"
girl: "no... it starts with an i and is a person."
me: "...... an ice cream cone?"
girl: "is an ice cream cone a person?"
me: "no... you're right. an inuit?"
girl: "what?"
me: "an igloo?"
girl: "no!"
me: "an indian?"
girl: "yes!"
me: "john smith?"
girl: "no... pocahontas."

i also found out pocahontas can't eat gluten, so halloween is the worst holiday ever for grandma. she spends most of the time telling her what she can't eat. pocahontas was also discussing her summer plans, which include buying a horse and a dog. i didn't have time to get into my childhood dream of being kidnapped by an indian brave who would take me to his awesome tribe camp and we would make great smart white lady/hot indian brave babies.

happy halloween.

No comments: