Wednesday, July 1, 2009

DDT not for me

I am currently reading Silent Spring and want a home DDT test. Like you squeeze the life juice out of a plant and midstream place the plastic applicator underneath it and - means "yes... safe again." + means "oops. you've got a lethal chlorinated hydrocarbon in there." It is also making me that much more determined to grow as much food as I possibly can in my backyard, make good use of any plant products possible, and never ever ever use any sort of chemical pesticide. And my image of the 50s is really getting bizarre.... lots of smarty-dressed housewives smoking cigarettes, wacked out on benzos spraying their azaleas with liquid poison. Yum.

I have successfully dried and stored my first batch of lemon thyme and am aiming to get a bunch more before the season is out. I'm also drying out peppermint leaves and plan on using those as a yummy tea or nice addition to facial steams. It was really easy to do: I just pulled off the mint leaves, washed them, and am drying them on the countertop. My next goal is to figure out what the hells I can do with my licorice plant.

2 comments:

Save vs Poison said...

The material in the jar is suspicious looking.

Poisoned Dwarf said...

as i was drying the leaves i wondered what i would say if the DEA charged in. i would insist they smell the sweet lemon flavor and then offer them shortbread cookies.